Five northwest Iowa citizens were recently re-elected to the Northwest Area Education Agency (AEA) board:
- Keith Zylstra – District 1;
- Roger Brinkert, - District 3;
- Dr. Tom Bjorge – District 4;
- Creston Schubert – District 5; and
- Tricia Sutherland – District 7.
In addition, Roger Brinkert was elected president and Tom Bjorge was elected vice-president of the board. Dr. Tim Grieves is the chief administrator at Northwest AEA.
By state law, members of AEA boards represent geographic areas known as director districts. Each has been determined to contain about the same population. Local school boards in each district elect a person to represent them on the AEA board of directors. Each board is allowed a percentage of votes equal to the percentage of the school district’s population in the director district.
The nine current board members of Northwest AEA include:
• Keith Zylstra, a farmer in Ashton, represents the schools in District 1, comprised of the Central Lyon, George-Little Rock, Hartley-Melvin-Sanborn, Rock Valley, Sibley-Ocheyedan and West Lyon school districts.
• Mike McAlpine of Sioux Center, the District 2 representative on the board, represents Akron-Westfield, Boyden-Hull-Sheldon, Sioux Center and West Sioux school districts. McAlpine is the wealth management group president at People’s Bank in Sioux Center.
• Roger Brinkert of Primghar represents schools in District 3, comprised of Cherokee, Kingsley-Pierson, Marcus-Meriden-Cleghorn, Remsen-Union, River Valley, South O’Brien and Woodbury Central school districts. Roger is a rural mail carrier and farmer.
• Dr. Tom Bjorge of Le Mars represents schools in District 4, made up of Hinton, Le Mars and MOC-Floyd Valley. Dr. Bjorge is a retired dentist from Le Mars.
• Creston Schubert of Galva represents schools in District 5, comprised of Ar-We-Va, Aurelia, Battle Creek-Ida Grove, Denison, Galva-Holstein, Maple Valley-Anthon Oto and Schleswig school districts. He is a crop adjuster and farmer.
• Glen Coble of Onawa represents District 6. The district is comprised of Maple Valley-Anthon Oto, Charter Oak-Ute, Lawton-Bronson, Sergeant Bluff-Luton, Westwood, West Monona, Whiting and two precincts in the Sioux City Community School District. Coble lives in Onawa and is a manager at Scheels in Sioux City.
• Tricia Sutherland of Sioux City represents District 7, made up of north and northeast portions of Sioux City. Sutherland works for Western Iowa Tech Community College as the dean of completion.
• Glenda Den Herder of Sioux City represents District 8, comprised of precincts in the west and northwest portions of Sioux City. She is a psychiatric nurse practitioner for Mercy Behavioral Care Clinic.
• Dr. Robert Rice of Sioux City represents District 9, made up of precincts in the south and east portions of Sioux City. Dr. Rice is a retired vice president of Western Iowa Tech Community College.