REGISTRATION IS NOW OPEN
15th Annual Our Kids Summer Institute
For ALL PK-12 Educators who Support English Learners
June 18-19, 2019
DMACC FFA Enrichment Center, 1055 SW Prairie Trail Parkway, Ankeny, Iowa
Register Information can be found at this link: Registration Information
Come get inspired
PK-12 educators will have the opportunity to network with other educational professionals, discover new strategies for working with English Learners (ELs) in Iowa and meet national and local experts to enrich practices for increasing EL achievement.
Conference topics include:
- Unlocking ELs’ potential to enhance academic success
- Preventing long-term English Learners
- Supporting strategies for English Learners in core content learning
- Approaches to address English Learner students at the Pre-K Level
- Distinguishing typical language development from special education needs
- Enhancing EL success using data through the MTSS/PLC process
- Diane Staehr Fenner will focus on unlocking ELs’ potential to enhance academic success and strategies for ELs in core content learning
- Margarita Espino Calderón will focus on the prevention of long-term ELs
- Alba Ortiz will focus on distinguishing typical language development from special education needs
- Lindsay Meeker, Director of English Learner Program at Community Unit School District 200 (CUSD) in Wheaton, Illinois, will present a leadership perspective on the achievement of ELs.
See the following LINK to read bios of featured speakers as well as a list of additional topics by local and national facilitators.
- License renewal credit available (1 credit) for an additional fee of $35, payable when registering
- Book: Each participant who registers for this learning opportunity will receive a copy of Advocating for English Learners: A Guide for Educators by Diane Staehr Fenner.
Plan to bring a team!