John Hattie’s work has fundamentally changed what we know about what works in education. Through a partnership with Corwin, Heartland AEA is pleased to bring the Visible Learning Institute to Iowa's schools. The Visible Learning Plus program includes a three-part foundational series of seminars in which participants learn about Hattie’s work and the Visible Learning approach.
Visible Learning & Deep Equity Program
Dates: Oct. 4, Nov. 1 and Dec. 6, 2016 & March 7, 2017
Time: 8:30 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Location: Hilton Garden Inn, 8600 Northpark Dr., Johnston, IA 50131
Cost: *See Fee and Credit Options in Registration Link
Register by Sept. 9 at this link
Visible Learning is an in-depth school change model of professional learning and development. It’s designed for school-based leadership teams to systematically examine effective instructional practices in order to determine the impact on student achievement and learning. By considering the effects of the practices of teachers and leaders, schools will be able to make substantial gains in student achievement.
Participants will explore:
- The key philosophy of Visible Learning and the major factors that influence student learning and achievement
- The importance of effect sizes as a useful way to measure progress
- The key characteristics of assessment capable learners
- The mind frames leaders need to have in order to impact student achievement and instruction
- The role of feedback
- The importance of learning intentions and success criteria
Program Dates and Areas of Focus:
- Oct. 4, 2016 -- Effective instructional practices that impact student achievement and learning.
- Nov. 1, 2016 -- Five phases of the Deep Equity process with Dr. Gary Howard for creating culturally responsive teaching.
- Dec. 6, 2016 --Evidence into Action Part One: Continuation of Visible Learning Institute with an emphasis on leadership actions which have the greatest impact on student outcomes.
- March 7, 2017 -- Evidence into Action Part Two: Continuation of Visible Learning Institute with an emphasis on data analysis and management of change strategies.