Better Conversations with Jim Knight will be held at WIT in Cherokee on Oct. 17-18. Jim and his colleagues have identified six essential domains (knowledge and skills) that need to be in place for instructional coaches to succeed. When any of these are missing, a coach’s chances for success are significantly diminished. The domains are:
1. Understanding how to work with adults (which we refer to as understanding the complexities of helping and the partnerships approach).
2. Understanding the coaching cycle
3. Understanding high-impact teaching practice.
4. Understanding how to gather data and use videos as a part of coaching
5. Effective communication skills
6. Effective leadership skills and systems thinking (what principals need to know about coaching
The event is being coordinated by Northwest AEA. Please see the attached document for further details.