Posted on 03/22/2010 at 03:19 PM by Global Reach
The National Association for the Education of Young Children (NAEYC) has an excellent position statement on appropriate assessments of young children, including the ELL students in your classroom, which can be found at <www.NAEYC.org>. This organization and its resources are the gold standard for early childhood best practices.
Their recommendations and indicators include:
1. Using screening and assessment for appropriate purposes.
2. Assessments must be culturally and linguistically appropriate
3. Significant assessment decisions involve two or more professionals.
4. Those conducting the assessments are aware of the concerns and cautions
associated with using standardized formal assessments with young English
5. Those conducting the assessments have cultural and linguistic competence,
knowledge of the children being assessed, and specific assessment-related
6. Families of young English-language learners should play critical roles in the
For more information, check out <www.NAEYC.org>.