Posted on 09/22/2009 at 11:04 AM by Global Reach
Have your students tried SIRS Knowledge Source? What is SIRS and how can it benefit your students? SIRS is just one of the FREE online databases that your students can access from the Northwest AEA website. SIRS is a general reference database that contains full text articles on history, economics, politics, social issues, and global issues. A Social Studies teacher’s dream! This database uses quick and easy search methods that locate the most relevant results for both inexperienced and experienced researchers. This database features:
- That’s Debate – Great way to get kids talking about issues.
- Today’s News - Easy way to stay up to date.
- Focus on Terrorism – Keeps you up to speed on current crisis.
- Natural Disasters - Everything you need to know about how disasters affect people and places.
- Maps of the World-500+ maps available.
- Spotlight on – Cool way to start research.
- Curriculum Pathfinders – Provides resources for support.
- World Almanac Excerpts and Maps – over 3000 maps and outline maps available.
How do I access SIRS? It’s as easy as 1 – 2 – 3!
- Go to Northwest AEA Web site and click Iowa AEA Online
- Click SIRS Issues Researcher
- Type in School Username and Password, which your media specialist or teacher librarian should have for you already.
Next time I will talk about DE Streaming for a quick preview click here.
Want help using this in your Social Studies classroom contact me at email@example.com or call 712/222-6087. I can’t wait to help you use this in your classroom!
Looking forward to helping you!