Posted on 10/26/2009 at 07:52 AM by Global Reach
Twelve Reasons of Music Education
1. Early musical training helps develop brain areas involved in language and reasoning.
2. There is also a link between music and spatial intelligence.
3. Students of the arts learn to think creatively and to solve
problems by imagining various solutions, rejecting outdated
rules and assumptions.
4. Recent studies show that students who study the arts are
more successful on standardized tests such as the SAT or ACT.
They also achieve higher grades in elementary, middle and high school.
5. A study of the arts provides children with an internal glimpse
of other cultures and teaches them to be empathetic towards
the people of these cultures.
6. Students of music learn craftsmanship as they study how
details are put together painstakingly and what constitutes
good as opposed to mediocre work.
7. In music, a mistake is a mistake; the instrument is in tune or
not the notes are well played or not, the entrance is made or
not. Students learn to value sustained effort to achieve
excellence and the concrete rewards of hard work.
8. Music study enhances teamwork skills and discipline.
9. Music provides children with a means of self-expression.
10. Music study develops skills that are necessary in the
11. Music performance teaches young people to conquer fear
and to take risks.
12. An arts education exposes children to the incomparable.
— Music Educators National Conference, www.menc.org
Thanks to all who teach students about fine arts. Share your ideas with one another to make each program stronger.