Posted on 04/24/2014 at 09:03 AM by Global Reach

Transition plans are an IDEA requirement for students on an IEP to help students transition to post-high school placements.  This is not a requirement for those students who have a 504 plan.  Counselors have often wondered, when working with graduating seniors who have plans on place whether this plan goes with them to their post-secondary placement.  The student and their parents are able to take the plan with them as evidence of the disability and accommodations that were in place during their secondary experience.  It will be the student’s responsibility, if they are 18 years or older, to self-identify their needs to the college and to request they develop a plan to assist in their educational process.  

Post-secondary institutions are not required to implement the 504 plan that was in place at the high school, but it could provide some guidance to those working in the student support services.  Please be sure to have conversations with the students and their parents about the need to take their current plan with them when make college visits and should spend some time visiting with that institution’s student support service centers.

There are no comments yet.
Add Comment

* Indicates a required field