Positive Behavioral Intervention and Supports (PBIS) is a system for creating and sustaining a positive school climate by achieving important social and learning outcomes. Implementation of PBIS enables schools to: establish a positive behavioral culture in which all students can experience success, reduce behavioral disruptions in the school, and create a safe and effective learning environment to enhance student achievement.
The focus of PBIS is to invest in prevention using strategies that include:
• Clearly defining the behaviors expected of students in all school settings.
• Actively teaching students the expected behaviors and purposefully modeling expectations.
• Using a system to acknowledge students' appropriate behavior with tangible and natural reinforcers.
• Establishing consequences for disruptive behaviors that are consistent across school settings.
• Providing additional support for students with more intensive social and behavioral needs.
• Using a data collection system to help guide decision-making regarding issues of discipline.