New for 2019-2020: Scout: One login. One search. One interface.
AEA Scout is a new online portal that houses many of the digital resources provided by Iowa’s AEAs. Students benefit from a one-stop-shop for their research needs, and teachers can rest easy knowing their students are searching the quality, curated content they’ve come to know and trust. Scout can be found at http://scout.iowaaea.org Educators will use the same username and password they use to access the AEA Learning System (Mandatory Reporter, AEA Professional Learning Registration System).
AEA Digital Resources is a virtual library that provides no-cost access to 16 high-quality, web-based resources for accredited public and non-public PreK-12 schools. All of these resources are provided by Northwest Area Education Agency. Students and staff have access at home and at school. All the resources can be accessed by using your AEA Digital Resources username and password. Contact your teacher librarian, or Pam Buysman, for that information. For training, contact Pam Buysman.
The following databases are part of this collection:
- AEA Digital Library - Digital curriculum resources from leading producers of preK-12 content.
- American History in Videos - Features 2,000 total hours of streaming videos that bring history alive for students.
- BookFlix - An online literacy resource that pairs fictional video storybooks with related nonfiction books. Includes a read-aloud feature.
- Britannica Online - Suite of products designed to support student research and classroom instruction.
- CultureGrams - Perspective on daily life and culture, including the history, customs, and lifestyles of the world's people.
- FreedomFLIX - Offers students a behind-the-scenes look at the people, places, and events that shaped our world.
- GALE: Content from magazines, newspapers, and reference materials. Ten different resources are designed for age-appropriate access.
- iClipart - A collection of more than 7.8 million royalty-free photos, clipart, fonts, animations, and sounds.
- Learn360 - Library of educational videos, video clips, images, and other teacher resources
- MackinVIA - Complete eResource management system providing easy access to eBooks, audiobooks and educational databases.
- ScienceFLIX - Transforms the way students access science topics, acquire scientific knowledge, and build a lasting interest in science, technology, and engineering.
- SIRS Issues Researcher - Exploration of the origins, perspectives, and essential questions under debate on over 300 pro/con social issues.
- soundzabound: Licensed audio that can be used without copyright infringement in videos, podcasts, and other forms of multimedia.
- TeachingBooks.net - Collections of author video interviews, book readings, teaching resources, and lesson plans to support student reading skills and interests
- Teen Health and Wellness - Nonjudgmental, straightforward information on today's teen health and wellness issues.
- TrueFlix - Combines Scholastic True Books content with related videos, Web links, and text. Includes a read-aloud feature.
Additional Resources Provided by NWAEA
A collection of five interactive eBooks for elementary students. Cybersmarts is designed to teach students about staying safe online. These interactive eBooks can be projected on a whiteboard or viewed on individual student computers. Lesson plans, reproducibles and research prompts are included.
A collection of five interactive eBooks for teens. Teen Cybersmarts was designed to give teens hands-on experience in safely navigating the online environment. These interactive eBooks can be projected on a whiteboard or viewed on individual student computers. Lesson plans, reproducibles and research prompts are included.
DefinedSTEM is a K-12 project-based learning solution that provides engaging, authentic lessons built around careers. Our cross-curricular projects provide opportunities for students to deepen understanding and apply their knowledge in real-world scenarios. If you have questions or need more information, contact Jordan Menning.
Vocabulary.com is our newest online resource. Vocabulary.com is a tool that is used to improve vocabulary by using an adaptive learning system that offers differentiated vocabulary instruction to students at all levels. It continuously assesses each student and focuses their efforts on words they need to learn. Teachers can create classes of students, assign work to them, and monitor their progress. Teachers can assign their students one of the thousands of already created vocabulary lists made from the most popular texts taught in schools, or easily create their own lists using the Vocabgrabber list-making tool. Vocabulary.com has gamified vocabulary instruction as well. Students can earn points, achievements, and badges that motivate them to keep playing and to keep learning.
Bridges is a cooperative project between libraries in Iowa. Bridges is powered by OverDrive and provides access to eBooks and audiobooks. To access resources from Bridges, teachers will need an access code. Contact Ann Derochie for that information.