All of these resources are provided by Northwest Area Education Agency. All the resources can be accessed by using your Iowa AEA Online username and password. Contact your teacher librarian, Pam Buysman, for that information. For training, contact Pam Buysman.
Iowa AEA Online is a virtual library that provides no-cost access to 14 high-quality, web-based resources for accredited public and non-public PreK-12 schools. Students and staff have access at home and at school. The following databases are part of Iowa AEA Online:
- AEA Digital Library - Digital curriculum resources from leading producers of preK-12 content.
- BookFlix - An online literacy resource that pairs fictional video storybooks with related nonfiction books. Includes a read-aloud feature.
- Britannica Online - Suite of products designed to support student research and classroom instruction.
- CultureGrams - Perspective on daily life and culture, including the history, customs, and lifestyles of the world's people.
- FreedomFLIX - Offers students a behind-the-scenes look at the people, places, and events that shaped our world.
- GALE: Content from magazines, newspapers, an reference materials. Ten different resources are designed for age-appropriate access.
- iClipart - A collection of more than 7.8 million royalty-free photos, clipart, fonts, animations, and sounds.
- Learn360 - Library of educational videos, video clips, images, and other teacher resources
- ScienceFLIX - Transforms the way students access science topics, acquire scientific knowledge, and build a lasting interest in science, technology and engineering.
- SIRS Issues Researcher - Exploration of the origins, perspectives, and essential questions under debate on over 300 pro/con social issues.
- soundzabound: Licensed audio that can be used without copyright infringement in videos, podcasts, and other forms of multimedia.
- TeachingBooks.net - Collections of author video interviews, book readings, teaching resources and lesson plans to support student reading skills and interests
- Teen Health and Wellness - Nonjudgmental, straightforward information on today's teen health and wellness issues.
- TrueFlix - Combines Scholastic True Books content with related videos, Web links and text. Includes a read-aloud feature.
Want to Know More?
Additional Resources Provided by NWAEA
A collection of five interactive eBooks for elementary students. Cybersmarts is designed to teach students about staying safe online. These interactive eBooks can be projected on a whiteboard or viewed on individual student computers. Lesson plans, reproducibles and research prompts are included.
Northwest AEA has purchased eBooks for use in our schools. Mackin Via is an online portal that makes it easy to access these eBooks. Mackin Via provides users four ways to search for content: keyword search, viewing pre-selected categories, advanced search using the available filters, and browsing the collection. Mackin Via also permits students to save the e-resources they like using the Via Backpack. MackinVia eBooks can also be read on tablets, mobile devices and Smart phones by downloading the free app.
A collection of five interactive eBooks for teens. Teen Cybersmarts was designed to give teens hands-on experience in safely navigating the online environment. These interactive eBooks can be projected on a whiteboard or viewed on individual student computers. Lesson plans, reproducibles and research prompts are included.
The Visual Thesaurus is an interactive dictionary and thesaurus which creates word maps with meanings that branch to related words. Visual Thesaurus has over 145,000 English words and 115,000 meanings. Words are color-coded to indicate parts of speech. Pronunciation of words is also included.
Vocabulary.com is our newest online resource. Vocabulary.com is a tool that is used to improve vocabulary by using an adaptive learning system that offers differentiated vocabulary instruction to students at all levels. It continuously assesses each student and focuses their efforts on words they need to learn. Teachers can create classes of students, assign work to them, and monitor their progress. Teachers can assign their students one of the thousands of already created vocabulary lists made from the most popular texts taught in schools, or easily create their own lists using the Vocabgrabber list making tool. Vocabulary.com has gamified vocabulary instruction as well. Students can earn points, achievements and badges that motivate them to keep playing and to keep learning.
Bridges is a cooperative project between libraries in Iowa. Bridges is powered by OverDrive and provides access to eBooks and audiobooks. To access resources from Bridges, teachers will need an access code. Contact Kim Noteboom for that information.