A special education strategist facilitates all aspects of the provision of special education and support and related services in assigned schools.They facilitate full and individual initial evaluations as part of the agency’s Child Find process when appropriate. Strategists also provide demonstration, feedback and coaching of instructional and behavioral strategies for teachers of students with disabilities receiving special education services.
The special education strategist maintains an educational license with an endorsement in one special education or general education instructional area or licensed as a special education consultant, school psychologist, school social worker, speech language pathologist, or other support roles.
The Special Education Strategist is responsible for the following duties:
- Assist in the development implementation and monitoring of IEPs, and provide support and related services as determined by the IEP team when appropriate.
- Partner with assigned AEA instructional coaches to provide support to general education and special education personnel
- Assist schools in adapting content, choosing methodology and delivering instruction to address the unique needs of children with disabilities.
- Assist school districts in addressing the needs of diverse learners through the school improvement process.
- Provide professional development to teachers, parents, and support staff as appropriate.
- Maintain knowledge and understanding of instructional technology and its application to the teaching and learning process.
- Maintain knowledge of available resources within the agency and elsewhere, and assist schools with access to such resources when needed.
- Use available technology to complete and disseminate appropriate documentation of activities and results.
- Adhere to the Iowa Department of Education rules, IDEA Part B and C statute and regulations, and Northwest AEA policies and procedures.
Regional Facilitator/Special Education Consultant Supervisor
800/352-9040 Ext. 6021
Regional Facilitator/School Psychologist Supervisor
800/352-9040 Ext. 6137