SIOUX CITY, IOWA (Sept. 1, 2017)—Better Conversations with Jim Knight will be held at WIT in Cherokee on Oct. 17-18. Jim and his colleagues have identified six essential domains (knowledge and skills) that need to be in place for instructional coaches to succeed. When any of these are missing, a coach’s chances for success are significantly diminished. The domains are:
1. Understanding how to work with adults (which we refer to as understanding the complexities of helping and the partnerships approach).
2. Understanding the coaching cycle
3. Understanding high-impact teaching practice.
4. Understanding how to gather data and use videos as a part of coaching
5. Effective communication skills
6. Effective leadership skills and systems thinking (what principals need to know about coaching
The event is being coordinated by Northwest AEA. Please see the attached document for further details.
With offices in Sioux City, Sioux Center, Cherokee, Denison, Le Mars and Onawa, Northwest Area Education Agency (AEA) works in partnership with public and accredited private schools in a 10-county area of northwest Iowa to help assure that all children reach their full potential. The AEA provides special education support services, media and technology services, a variety of instructional services, professional development and leadership to promote school improvement. The Iowa General Assembly created the state’s AEA system in 1975. It is widely regarded as one of the finest in the country. For more information about Northwest AEA, visit www.nwaea.org.