Register Now for the14th Annual Our Kids Summer Institute for Educators and Administrators of English Learners
“Speaking for All Learners” will be held on June 12-13, 2018from 9:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. at North Polk High School. PK-12 educators will have the opportunity to network with other educational professionals, discover new strategies for working with English language learners in Iowa and meet national and local experts to enrich practices for increasing EL achievement.
Ayanna Cooper, Ed.D
Dr. Ayanna Cooper is an ELL specialist who has extensive and diverse experience teaching educators how to enhance instruction for culturally and linguistically diverse learners. Dr. Cooper is nationally recognized in the EL field and has done much research and is published in this arena.
David Edward Garcia
Growing up on the Mexican border in Texas, David Edward Garcia shares his inspiring story of living in two worlds-linguistically and culturally. Growing up as an EL, he did not experience academic success but has become a successful speaker of five languages, teacher, entrepreneur, comedian and an inspiration to both students and educators. Garcia will offer a keynote as well as breakout sessions for teachers and instructional leaders/administrators about strategies for meeting the academic needs of English Learners.
Conference topics include:
- Strategies for addressing barriers to academic and language learning for English Learners in the classroom
- Best practices for supporting early childhood language acquisition for preschool English Learners
- Instructional leadership strategies for English language learning programs
- Connecting and collaborating with other educators responsible for the success of English Learners
- And many more learning opportunities and topics from experts in educating English Learners!
Information and Registration