The Iowa Family & Educator Partnership (Iowa FEP) provides parents and educators with opportunities to work together in positive ways to improve educational programs for children/youth with special needs.
The Iowa FEP operates through each of the Area Education Agencies and is part of a statewide network. We consist of Family & Educator Coordinators (parents of children with special needs) and an Educator Representative (special education division staff member).
The Iowa Family & Educator Partnership works to develop and sustain effective partnerships between families, educators, and community providers to promote success for all children and youth with disabilities.
The Family & Educator Partnership helps families and educators by:
- Answering questions either by phone, e-mail or in person.
- Referring to other resources.
- Assisting with the communication process between families and schools.
- Providing information about the IEP/IFSP process.
- Review of procedural safeguards.
- Help prepare for a meeting.
- Attend IEP/IFSP or other school meetings as requested by the local school, AEA staff or parents.
- Helping a family develop a vision for the student’s future.
- Providing workshops on transition related topics.
- Sharing information about community resources.
- Collaborating with other agencies on family support and transition related issues.