Northwest AEA support for local educators is delivered through collaborative efforts of special education, educational services, and media and technology staff, working in Multi-Tiered Systems of Support (MTSS) for all students.
Special Education Services
The special education division staff work in partnership with local school teams to carry out specialized Child Find and evaluation activities; assist with the development of Individualized Education Plans (IEP) that deliver high quality, specially designed instruction; and provide support and related services to eligible students.
Support is provided to schools and educators through:
- a special education strategist service delivery model (professionals licensed as school psychologists, school social workers, and special education consultants);
- specialized support services, including those provided by speech-language pathologists, occupational and physical therapists, vision and hearing specialists, and literacy coaches;
- behavioral health teams, including a challenging behavior team, mental health team, and a Positive Behavior Interventions and Supports (PBIS) team; and
- assistance with compliance for the provisions of the federal Individuals with Disabilities Educational Improvement Act (IDEA, 2004) and State of Iowa Administrative Rules of Special Education.
Services are provided for children birth through the age of 21 and can be accessed through requests made by parents or school personnel. For general information, contact the special education division at 712-222-6010 or 1-800-352-9040, ext. 6010.
Our educational consultants work to support school administrators, leadership teams, and teacher leaders in their efforts to improve outcomes for students, especially in the areas of school improvement, professional development planning, instructional coaching, mentor training, Iowa Core, Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA) designations, Authentic Intellectual Work (AIW), Multi-Tiered System of Support (MTSS), and Early Literacy Implementation (ELI).
The model will provide:
- educational consultants assigned to specific districts and schools as primary AEA contacts, meeting with school personnel on a bi-monthly or as-needed basis;
- administrative, teacher leader, and teacher networking opportunities across all schools;
- consultation and instructional opportunities across all schools in the Iowa Core content areas of literacy, mathematics, science, and social studies;
- consultation and instructional opportunities across all schools in the student-centered areas of English Language Learners (ELL), gifted education, early childhood, competency-based education, Career and Technical Education (CTE), school counseling, student events, classroom management, and equity; and
- consultation and instructional services across all schools in the educator-centered areas of school improvement, licensure renewal, mentoring and induction, and curriculum coordination.
Media and Technology
In addition, supplemental classroom resources are available to all educators and schools within the Northwest AEA area. Students and teachers can use instructional resources on Iowa AEA Online for free. The Media Catalog has books, DVDs, magazines, book kits, audio books, equipment, labs, and so much more for all grade levels. And the Creative Services Team can produce posters, coloring books, bookmarks, banners, custom vinyl, printing, clings, and more.
Give your feedback
Forward questions to your building’s regional facilitator, instructional coach or special education strategist at any time. Learn about services available to educators through this Teacher Orientation video.
Director of Special Education
800/352-9040 Ext. 6011
Director of Educational Services, Media and Technology
800/352-9040 Ext. 6019