The Educational Services staff at Northwest AEA has determined that our instructional coaches will now serve as educational consultants and will provide more services to schools in their areas of expertise. We are changing our name and changing our role to more closely fit with the changes that are coming to our schools and because we do not have the capacity to serve all teachers in the classroom. The great thing is that the TLC Grant will allow the LEAs this capacity and the AEA staff will have the skills to “coach the coaches.”
Our educational consultants will work to support the school administrators, leadership teams, and teacher leaders in their efforts to improve outcomes for students, especially in the areas of school improvement, professional development planning, instructional coaching, mentor training, Iowa Core Deeper Investigations, Schools and Districts in Need of Assistance (SINA/DINA), Authentic Intellectual Work (AIW), Multi-Tiered System of Support (MTSS) for Phase I schools, and Early Literacy Implementation (ELI) for ELI schools.
The model will provide:
- Educational consultants assigned to specific districts and schools as primary AEA contacts, meeting with school personnel on a bi-monthly or as-needed basis.
- Administrative, teacher leader, and teacher networking opportunities across all schools.
- Consultation and instructional opportunities across all schools in the Iowa Core content areas of literacy, mathematics, science, and social studies.
- Consultation and instructional opportunities across all schools in the student-centered areas of English Language Learners, Gifted Education, Early Childhood, Competency-based Education, Career and Technical Education, School Counseling, Student Events, classroom management, and Equity.
- Consultation and instructional services across all schools in the educator-centered areas of School Improvement, Licensure Renewal, Mentoring and Induction, and Curriculum Coordination
The special education strategists licensed in the disciplines of school psychology, school social work and special education consulting will support special education teachers in their efforts to improve instruction for students with IEPs.
Give your feedback
Forward questions to your building’s regional facilitator, instructional coach or special education strategist at any time.
Learn about services available to educators through this Teacher Orientation video.
Director of Special Education
800/352-9040 Ext. 6011
Educational Services Director
800/352-9040 Ext. 6019